Friday, July 16, 2010

contraband delphiniums

Oh I forgot to mention my delphiniums. Yup. I found these growing out in the wild, unhindered, in a field, just makin' it on their own...

Ok. I saw them growing through a fence and after taking a bajillion photos of them, without thinking, I pinched them off, tucked them in my bag, and quickly walked away.

Ok. I totally went up to them with the intention of taking them. I know. I'm a terrible person. But I haven't had delphiniums in my house for 10 years. 10 YEARS! And they're in my top five all-time favourite flowers. And these were just growing through the fence. No one was appreciating them! They were just the trailing flowers, not the main stem! I'm sure there was a humongous load of them on the main stem!! Ack! Cut me some slack!
I took the photos because I really liked the blue with the green on their fence (and it gave me a reason to go up to them in the first place. Sigh. Yes, okay! I meticulously planned it all out in my head during my walk. 40 lashes).



4 comments:

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Omg such beautiful flowers! I love blue flowers of any kind because it's just so rare. They deserved to be appreciated. I'm glad you thieved them.

GALaxy said...

They're such a bright blue, too. The ones with a black centre (instead of the white) look even more blue. You should get some! They come in all sorts of colours and get really big (mom's got white ones that are as tall as I am). They'd look so great against a fence.

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Are they annuals or perennials? I'd love some colour in my garden besides brown.

GALaxy said...

They're perennials. The white ones I was talking about were planted about two years ago in the lawn. So they have nothing around them and only have to worry about being mowed over accidentally in the spring. Apparently, they're heavy feeders and like a lot of nutrients, but I've never given them anything extra (I had a huge blue one on the farm). I was really shocked by how large they had gotten in such a short amount of time, though. Mom wanted me to take some flowers, but none of the smaller stems were open yet and I just couldn't bear to cut one of the main ones!